Re: after upgrading to hamm, ppp problems

Rich Hartman wrote:

> Hello everyone:
>
> After many trials and tribulations, I have finally upgraded to
> hamm... First, I installed Debian 1.3 from CD, then immediately wrote
> my ppp script required to login to my server - worked great.
> Immediately upgraded to latest stable version, THEN immediately
> upgraded to hamm using autoup.sh.  All went well, except now when I
> try to use my ppp script, it doesn't work properly. I hear it dialing
> the modem AND connecting, but apparently the connection only lasts a
> couple of seconds (if I try to telnet, I get the error message
> "hostname lookup failure"). Keep in mind that nothing has changed (to
> my knowledge) in regards to the ppp script file (I also checked my
> resolv.conf file, while contains nameserver info, etc - it's still
> there and still has all info).
>
> One thing - perl, data-dumper and libnet-perl are not installed yet
> (for some reason, perl was not "selected" when I ran thru dselect)
> Could this be the reason?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Rich

	(assuming you are using the Debian pon/poff scripts)

	First of all, a couple of things should have changed.  Your chatscript, and
options_out file will have moved.  Look in /etc/chatscripts/ and /etc/ppp/
to see the changes.  One thing that I had to change was to add 'noauth' to
my options_out (now /etc/ppp/peer/provider).  /usr/doc/ppp/README.* will
explain this.  IIRC, I may have had to fiddle with the file permissions of
the new files (and new directories) to get everything working (if you run
pon/poff as root this doesn't matter).

--
Ed