Re: how to get color ls display?

On Tue, 26 May 1998, the lone gunman wrote:

> Hello:
>
> I recently installed Debian 1.3.1 that I purchased from Linux System
> Labs.  I have had several problems, and cannot seem to find the
> answers.
>
> Getting color with ls!  I copied my /etc/DIR_COLORS from my old
> slackware system to my new Debian system.  In my /etc/profile, I have
> "dircolors -b" run, and then I alias ls="ls --color=auto".
>
> Now, if I un-alias ls (that is, only dircolors is run), then NOTHING
> is in color.  But with the alias, regardless of what I do with
> dircolors, I get my lists in color, but not the custom colors I've
> defined in /etc/DIR_COLORS.
>
> What gives?

>From "info dircolors":

   `dircolors' outputs a sequence of shell commands to set up the
terminal for color output from `ls' (and `dir', etc.).  Typical usage:

     eval `dircolors [OPTION]... [FILE]`

   If FILE is specified, `dircolors' reads it to determine which colors
to use for which file types and extensions.  Otherwise, a precompiled
database is used.  For details on the format of these files, run
`dircolors --print-database'.

I think this gives enough information. I think you omitted the filename.

Remco