Re: creating simple interface for low-power users

On Tue, 26 May 1998, G. Crimp wrote:

> 	I'm trolling for ideas and guidance.  I'm trying to help my parents
> enter the electronic age.  They basically know nothing about computers.
> They're 80 and I'm stubborn.  This means that things have to be super easy
> for them, and I'm hoping to avoid windoze.
	Hey, that's nice `:)

> 	I thought it would be great if I could set up their accounts so that
> when they logged in a button bar greated them.  They could invoke xpat2,
> logout, shutdown, or call up a graphic mail user agent (maybe xfmail or
> netscape) just by clicking the appropriate button.  Here is where I need
> ideas and guidance.
>
> 	I think this should be feasible.  I would make this button bar their
> login shell.  All that would remain would be to create the button bar.
	Maybe you don't need the button bar to be the shell. You could
simply start Debian on xdm, when logged in they would jump to a graphical
interface and you could easily define a button bar on the wm of your
preference. The buttons don't have to be the only thing they see on the
desktop (actually, a nice wallpaper might even encourage them). As long as
the button bar is well visible, I believe they'll be ok.
	Of course, you could learn tcl/tk (for example) and build a shell
which would invoke a full-screen menu for only certain applications, but
that's no really necessary (IMHO).

		Rodrigo
 -

 Rodrigo Bernardo Pimentel    <rodrigobp@pobox.com>|  PGP RSA KeyID: