Re: off-topic - netscape

>I have yet to find a decent font that scales well enough to be useful to me
>for an xterm.  When you need a 12x20 or 12x22 font because you need to use
>1024x768 on a 14" monitor with my vision, you'll have an appreciation for
>what I mean.  =p
>
>This is part of the reason I (do not|can not effectively) use X.  If I can
>save up my pennies for a nice 19-21" monitor....
>

>I actually have a 20" monitor.  I was hoping to be able to get it working.
>At the time I was using Other Operating Systems and they'd NEVER support
>reasonably the fixed freq 1024x768..
>
>Now in Linux with svgatextmode and some X modelines, I probably could use it
>if I could somehow get the hsync on green--my Millennium supports fixed
>vsync monitors.  The vsync is almost certainly 60Hz.  The hsync could be
>averaged out.  There's a little circuit that could be built to put the sync
>on green for me and I don't recall it costing much..
>
>Otherwise paying for a similarly sized monitor is going to take awhile.
>I've tried telling X to use a virtual desktop, but that is just clumsy IMO
>very hard to use and defeats the whole point of having lots of non-text
>stuffs on the screen at once.  I can see the icons fine thanks, it's the
>text that needs help.

Yes, I know what you mean - at the time that I though Linux was some sort of
light bulb (you laugh, it's not that long ago though) I was using win95 with a
14" monitor @1024x768 with 60Hz. It turned out that my eyes would fatigue too
early, which forced me to lower the res to 800x600, which was ok for my windows
apps. When I started calculating modelines and experimenting with X I discovered
that most people that had contributed modelines were using BIG monitors - most
of the X software seemed to be developed for big displays as well. You mention
xterm - i think it is a good example. Working with the virtual desktops was fun
at first (I'd never done anything remotely similar before and it was a way of
making up the missing space, however Netscape Mail was just to big to fit one of
the virtual desktops which resulted in a permanent desktop switching to reach
the several send/receive buttons (I didn't know about Xresources then).

I finally decided it was no use running X and its software below 1024x768 (at
least my tired eyes did) and I bought a 17" monitor - I regret the purchase of
many things related to my computer, but this was a good investment. Maybe you
should consider getting a 17" one instead of 19" - they aren't that bad. I was
surprised when I got mine: it allows 1152x864 @100Hz.

How old is your 20" monitor? Do you think its necessary to modify it in order
to make it run?

 --
Stone's Law:
	One man's "simple" is another man's "huh?"