Re: off-topic - netscape

On Tue, May 26, 1998 at 09:36:57PM +0200, Chris Zander wrote:
> >> but anyway...once it has fonts...Netscape looks GREAT!
> >
> >Netscape won't let you use a TT font for fixed stuff though..  xfstt doesn't
> >bother to report that fixed width fonts are I think.  This is prolly an
> >upstream issue.
>
> I keep using xfs, this allows me to keep using the old fixed fonts.  The only
> thing that is not so good is that there is that much software that I would like
> to make use tt fonts, that don't support anything but monospaced fonts - this
> makes such software ugly - but hey, I'm satisfied and with time there'll be
> improvement.

I have yet to find a decent font that scales well enough to be useful to me
for an xterm.  When you need a 12x20 or 12x22 font because you need to use
1024x768 on a 14" monitor with my vision, you'll have an appreciation for
what I mean.  =p

This is part of the reason I (do not|can not effectively) use X.  If I can
save up my pennies for a nice 19-21" monitor....

I actually have a 20" monitor.  I was hoping to be able to get it working.
At the time I was using Other Operating Systems and they'd NEVER support
reasonably the fixed freq 1024x768..

Now in Linux with svgatextmode and some X modelines, I probably could use it
if I could somehow get the hsync on green--my Millennium supports fixed
vsync monitors.  The vsync is almost certainly 60Hz.  The hsync could be
averaged out.  There's a little circuit that could be built to put the sync
on green for me and I don't recall it costing much..

Otherwise paying for a similarly sized monitor is going to take awhile.
I've tried telling X to use a virtual desktop, but that is just clumsy IMO
very hard to use and defeats the whole point of having lots of non-text
stuffs on the screen at once.  I can see the icons fine thanks, it's the
text that needs help.