Re: samba

Greg Norris wrote:

> Ok, with everyone's help I was able to get it working (thanx!).  The main
> problem turned out to be the "local master = yes" line under [global],
> although there were a few other incidental changes which needed to be make
> (such as the addition of a "mangle case" entry).
>
> Since then I've come up with another samba problem, tho.  This morning I
> was informed that I have been given dialup access to the NT lan at work
> (about bloody time, but that's another story).  I've configured ppp/chap to
> connect, and am able to successfully telnet to various hosts.
> Unfortunately, the wins setting seems to be a stumbling-block.
>
> In order for the local win95 machine to be able to connect to the linux
> box, I had to set "wins support = yes".  However, the remote network
> requires a specific wins-server address, and samba won't allow me to also
> specify "wins server = ???.???.???.???".  So when I try to connect to a
> share on the remote network, the request always fails.  So far I've spent
> most of this morning going through the samba docs (as well as searching
> web-pages), and can't seem to find anything to address this problem (or
> perhaps I'm just to blind to spot it...).  If anyone has any information on
> how to get around this (or pointers on where to look for it), I'd really
> appreciate it.

First of all, I don't think the version of samba you have supports the *use* of
WINS servers. I know recent versions do because I'm on the samba list and follow
its development. Anyway, if your version does, then don't use 'wins support =
yes' as this makes your machine act as a wins *server* which is not what you
want. You want to be a wins client. From what I gather from the smb.conf man
page, the 'wins server = x.x.x.x' makes your machine register with a wins server,
while it doesn't say anything about using this server for wins lookups. At any
rate, you may not need the wins server. You may be able to overcome this by using
the 'interfaces = ' option. WINS name lookup (unlike DNS lookups) defaults to
using network broadcast. This is problematic with dialup lines since on a
point-to-point like only the guy on the other side will see your broadcast.
Broadcasts are not relayed by routers (unless they're directed broadcasts bound
for an interface other than the one which they were received), but I digress.

I think I'm missing what you're trying to do though. Let's get back to who's
trying to connect to who. Perhaps you could draw a little ascii-art network
representation. If I understand correctly, your Linux box dials up your NT
network. Then you're trying to connect to a network share which is on the network
you've dialed into, right? Is this a windows box you're trying to connect to? You
'local win95 machine' is local to where, your Linux box or the network you're
dialing into?

--
Jens B. Jorgensen
jjorgens@bdsinc.com