problem w/ upgrade to hamm (+ mach64 x server....)

Hello all...

I'm relatively new to the whole linux thing, but I've been running
debian 1.3.1 for about 1 month now with no problems, EXCEPT that I
haven't been able to get X running smoothly with my ATI 3d rage II
+DVD video card... could only get 640x400 with very lame picture
quality. I tried the new s.u.s.e. mach64 server and it worked
better (great resolution and picture during configuration) , but not
good enough (had i/o problem with mouse - server wouldn't run
after exiting from the configuration program (where, by the way,
the mouse worked perfectly)...)

...so, I figure I'll try to upgrade to hamm (?). Ran the autoup.sh
program (seemed to work except for a reported error with "slang"),
then tried to run dselect via ftp (which has worked great for me
several times) updated using the frozen_main (etc) - worked fine,
updated info on approx 1500 packages... "selected" ALL (1st line).
When I tried to execute "install", it reports that it "can't find
packages for dist/frozen/main" (+contrib & non-free) "(rerun Update)
nothing to get"

this leads to reports of "processing downloaded files, package file
is non-debian file"

it does this again even if I update again (note that it never even
attempts to download the packages, because it thinks that the package
files are not debian files.

I am using the default answers for every prompt (just like I have
done successfully updating bo in the past).

Any ideas on either (or both) problems?

Thanks in advance,

Rich