Re: newsgroup, instead of mail list?

On Sat, 23 May 1998, Steve Lamb wrote:

> On Sat, 23 May 1998 12:05:09 +0200 (CEST), Orn E. Hansen wrote:
>
> >  The problem with news servers, and reading threads like this one there, is
> >for the home user.  If you have a 28.8 link, or 14.4 link, and start reading
> >the news, you will be downloading a far greater amount than if you just
> >subscribe via email.  You'll never have the patience to wait for the whole
> >news to finish, not to mention that many ISP news servers are simply buggy in
> >the first place.
>
>     Uhm, I beg to differ.  On a newsgroup with moderate traffic (50-60

I don't understand either unless he has a badly configured newsreader that
tries to pull the entire active file on each connection. I use knews when
I read news remotely with it set the FIRST TIME to pull the active and
description file and cache it locally.  After that, I have it set NOT to
pull them and it only adds new groups. On connection, it pulls the
overview data for any new articles and displays it. The actual article is
not downloaded until I select it.

George Bonser

Microsoft! Which end of the stick do you want today?