Re: Upgrade From RH 5.0 to Debian 2.0

On Fri, 22 May 1998, David Lauder wrote:

> Intro
>
> I've had the misfortune of having the hard drives crash on both of
> my Debian bo boxes within a week (one was spewing bad sectors and
> the other was making that nasty clunking sound of metal on metal).
>
> So I did a stupid thing (being impatient and on a tight schedule) and
> installed RH 5.0 on both machines. I didn't realize how great a distro
> Debian is until after installing and using RH 5.0 for a week (not to
> bash RH, but IMHO they are not in the same league).
>
> I want to re-install Debian 2.0 (hamm) real soon, but am unsure how to
> proceed.

> Questions
>
> Can I install Debian over top of my RH / and /usr partitions and
> leave my /home and /usr/local partitions alone?
>
> Should I fdisk the / and /usr partitions first?
>
> Can I use my existing RH setup to start an FTP install using
> dpkg/dselect?
>
> Is there a FAQ dealing with these issues?
>
> TIA,
> --
> dL
>

> --

Probably the best way to go about installing debian, is to download all
the .bin files you need to make the install disk(s). Then boot them and
install the modules, etc. After that is done when you run dselect simply
choose FTP as the access method. Select the packages you want to install,
and then begin the instal procedure. This will most likely take a very
long time unless you are on a very high speed connection, so you might
want to leave your computer on over night and let it download everything.
After that you can just continue with the rest of the installation
(configure, etc). Hope this helps, good luck.

	Brian