Re: Upgrade From RH 5.0 to Debian 2.0

On Fri, 22 May 1998, David Lauder wrote:

> Questions
>
> Can I install Debian over top of my RH / and /usr partitions and
> leave my /home and /usr/local partitions alone?

I wouldn't.

> Should I fdisk the / and /usr partitions first?

Only if you want to change the partition sizes, if the layout is OK, just
choose "initialize a linux partition" from the install menu to wipe out
the old filesystem and make a new one.

> Can I use my existing RH setup to start an FTP install using
> dpkg/dselect?

Bad idea. Red Hat places things in weird places and makes all kinds of
symlinks.  Debian will likely only delete a symlink in many cases leaving
copies of old libraries laying around in odd places that could cause
trouble.  Just get rid of Red Hat. 5.0 has to be the WORST distro they
have ever shipped.

> Is there a FAQ dealing with these issues?

Not that I know of.

George Bonser

Microsoft! Which end of the stick do you want today?