Re: !!! URGENT !!! Can't boot back to Win95

Brian Weiss wrote:

> On Fri, 22 May 1998, Ed Cogburn wrote:
>

> >     It's not clear from the previous thread whether they are referring to
> > kernel-image-xxx or kernel-source-xxx debs.  The kernel-image-xxx (pre-compiled)
> > debs aren't too useful because they tend to have everything and the kitchen sink
> > compiled in, as Brian suggests. However this doesn't apply to kernel-source-xxx
> > debs.  *Use them*.  The recent kernel-source-2.0.33-xxx has the FAT32 support in
> > it.  Use it to build a kernel for your system.
> >
> >     Ed
> >

> Very very good point Ed, however all kernel source has FAT32 support, you
> just say yes to it in the config :). But anyway, I haven't personally used
> the .deb source files but I would suggest giving them a try if you don't
> quite feel comfortable with the regular source yet.
>
>         Brian

    Actually, kernel-source-2.0.32-xxx deb did not have the FAT32 support in
it.  Neither does the 'official' 2.0.33 kernel source tarball.   Only when I
heard of kernel-source-2.0.33-xxx deb that was recently put up on ftp.debian.org
did I get one with the FAT32 support already integrated into the kernel source
package.  I'll bet your referring to the development kernels.  IIRC, FAT32
support was integrated into 2.1.xx kernel series fairly early on.  Second, there
isn't that much of a difference between the official source tarballs and the
kernel-source-xxx deb files except that the deb packages will update the
symlinks and the .linux-versions file in /usr/src/linux for you.  With
kernel-source-2.0.33-xxx deb a big difference is that the maintainer
thoughtfully incorporated the FAT32 patch for the rest of us not using the
development kernel.

    Ed