Re: !!! URGENT !!! Can't boot back to Win95

On Fri, 22 May 1998, Ionut Borcoman at musa wrote:

> Hi,
>
> It's a little bit humorous, but I'm unable to boot back to WIn95. And my
> boss is in a hurry ! I've played a little with the kernel and now it
> didn't recognize the vfat2 partition. Anything else is working, just
> this is not. I have installed the lilo and I cannot remove it. The
> method with booting from floppy and giving fdisk /mbr doesn't work.
>
> Here is my lilo.conf:

I dont want to upset you, but I _think_ you have fried your win95
partition... I believe that your 'boot=/dev/sda1' has killed the windows
loader... I dont know how to best explain how it works, as I dont know for
sure...  I use 'boot=/dev/hda'  <-- no "1"

> boot=/dev/sda1
> root=/dev/sda3
> compact
> install=/boot/boot.b
> map=/boot/map
> vga=normal
> delay=20
>
> image=/vmlinuz
>     label=linux
>     read-only
>     root=/dev/sda3
>
> image=/vmlinuz.old
>     label=old
>     read-only
>     root=/dev/sda3
>
> other = /dev/sda1
>     label=win95
>     table = /dev/sda

the 'other = /dev/sda1' line says "boot off of /dev/sda1", but you have
installed LILO there, that is why you get it again...

> It registers the win95 entry, but, if I type win95 at the LILO: prompt,
> I just receive another LILO: prompt. Also, it will be better if the
> Win95 will be default SO.

When you get it going... a 'default=win95' in the section at the top will
fix it...

I hope this reason for your problem is not the case for you, But I have
done this myself once, and It was not a pleasant feeling in my gut when I
realized.

                       Michael Beattie (mickyb@es.co.nz)