Re: !!! URGENT !!! Can't boot back to Win95

On Fri, May 22, 1998 at 11:50:09PM +1200, Michael Beattie wrote:
> On Fri, 22 May 1998, Ionut Borcoman at musa wrote:
> > It's a little bit humorous, but I'm unable to boot back to WIn95. And my
> > boss is in a hurry ! I've played a little with the kernel and now it
> > didn't recognize the vfat2 partition. Anything else is working, just
> > this is not. I have installed the lilo and I cannot remove it. The
> > method with booting from floppy and giving fdisk /mbr doesn't work.
> I dont want to upset you, but I _think_ you have fried your win95
> partition...
Yes, but don't panic, lilo had made a backup.

Use lilo -u /dev/sda1 to restore the old one. Verify before that
/boot/boot.0801 has the expected modification date (i.e. when you installed
lilo with the boot=/dev/sda1 option)

Now make sure you have a floppy handy from which you could boot Linux.

Next switch on the bootable flag of the /dev/sda1 partition using cfdisk.
Switch it off for all other partitions.

Now you should be able to reboot to Windows 95, provided you did the
fdisk/mbr before.

To really make booting as you wanted it replace
 boot=/dev/sda1
with
 boot=/dev/sda
and run lilo -v

(after booting to Linux of course :-)

Nils

| Quotes from the net:  L> Linus Torvalds, W> Winfried Truemper               |
| L>this is the special easter release of linux, more mundanely called 1.3.84 |
| W>Umh, oh. What do you mean by "special easter release"?. Will it quit      |
* W>working today and rise on easter?                                         *