Re: !!! URGENT !!! Can't boot back to Win95

On Fri, May 22, 1998 at 11:50:09PM +1200, Michael Beattie wrote:
> I dont want to upset you, but I _think_ you have fried your win95
> partition... I believe that your 'boot=/dev/sda1' has killed the windows
> loader... I dont know how to best explain how it works, as I dont know for
> sure...  I use 'boot=/dev/hda'  <-- no "1"

It's not just a matter of killing the Windows loader, Windows actually
stores partition meta-information in the superblock, which lilo will
write in to. Fortunately you can restore it as other people have suggested.

(Linux doesn't do this, so it is safe to use boot=/dev/sda2 if sda2
is your Linux partition. The default for Debian, even.)

Hamish