X11 HELP!

Hello & help!

I hope someone can help me with this problem that is getting worse and
worse...

I tired to install fvwm95 and all I got was a plain login screen that
would log into a plain window with a single xterm.  I tried to remvoe
the window manager and install another using dserver... Now I CAN NOT
LOGIN to the computer at all from the console.  When I log in I get a
colorful flash and another plain login screen.  The only way I can
connect to the computer is via a telnet.

How do I disable the X11 so I can get my console back?  Also any tips on
getting a WM working would be greatly appriciated!  I should have a
pretty much generic installation, so I'm somewhat confused to why I am
having all of this trouble.

Thanks,

Doug