Re: X windows, Dselect, and then some...

I will take the easy one.  Dselect (and apt) will compare your package
list against the ftp site's package list and suggest updates.  Simply
start dselect in ftp mode, tell it to "update", then go to "select" at
the top will be listed any new or changed packages.  I use this almost
nightly.