Re: Help making a 486 into an X Terminal

On Wed, May 20, 1998 at 12:32:10AM -0400, Kiyan Azarbar wrote:

> Is this possible? If so, what is the bare minimum I need. How do I get
> started? Is there a bootdisk package? I can copy any debs I need from my
> computer over to the share drive on the win95 machine, but I'm wondering how I
> should go about creating a partition for ext2fs, and how to install the
> kernel, etc. Should I just compile a tiny minimalist kernel there?
>
> And most importantly, where do I get fips?

	I can't help you with the network aspects of your desired setup, but
I thought I would share my playing around with a small set up to give you an
idea of space requirements.

	I set up Deb with X on a 486sx-33, 5 Mb RAM, and a HD with something
like 115 or 120 Mb capacity.  I set aside 12 Mb for a swap partition which
left about 100 or so Mb for a Linux partition.  From dselect, I then picked
out what I thought would be the bare minimum to get a running system.  This
was a trial and error process, at least for me as I sometimes think I won't
need a package but some other package does need it.  I ended up with a
running box on which I could start X with fvwm2.  df reported 60% disk
usage.  Of course about the only thing I had on the machine that one could
pretend to do anything with was a text editor and minicom.  With 5 megs of
RAM I couldn't complain that it was too fast for me to keep up with, but the
machine was only slightly slower with X than it in its previous life running
M$ Windows 3.1 with 4 megs of RAM.

	The machine is fast enough that I decided I could use it to try and
teach my parents how to use a computer.  The current setup is a
reincarnation as the old Deb (1.1) was wiped to remake it a DOS box for
awhile.  I can't say how exactly the chosen packages match the new 1.3
setup, but I again aimed for a minimal setup.  joe and minicom are there
again, but I added the full source tree to make a custom kernel, and xpat2
so mater and pater could have some fun while learning to use a mouse.  df
reports 89% disk usage.  Same partitions as before (they weren't changed).

	Go for it man; it's possible !

	As for fips, I don't know if all distro put it on the CD, but that's
where I got it (infomagic LDR).

	I'd be interested to hear how you make out.

	Ciao,

	Gerald Crimp