Re: non-interactive Debian installation or update

"HZ" == HOLGER ZIEROLD <HOLGER_ZIEROLD@HP-Germany-om25.om.hp.com> writes:

  HZ> Hi,
  HZ> I'm looking for a way to automate an upgrade/update of already
  HZ> installed Debian systems. Since there are several packages that
  HZ> require user interaction this cannot be done over night or at remote
  HZ> sites without the intervention of a system administrator.

  HZ> Does the dpkg command allow to accept default values for the specified
  HZ> packages with or without a configuration file or is there any other
  HZ> way to do it?

  HZ> Thanks,

  HZ> Holger.

[..sig snip..]

       First install the package you want with:

       tee package.install.log | dpkg -i package.deb

       (Your answers will be logged in the file package.install.log)

 -=- MIME -=-
     Hi,

     I'm looking for a way to automate an upgrade/update of already
     installed Debian systems. Since there are several packages that
     require user interaction this cannot be done over night or at remote
     sites without the intervention of a system administrator.

     Does the dpkg command allow to accept default values for the specified
     packages with or without a configuration file or is there any other
     way to do it?

     Thanks,

     Holger.

************* HEWLETT-PACKARD GmbH           Holger Zierold
**** / ******                                PS Telecom
*** /_  _  **                         eMail: holger_zierold@hp.com
** / / /_/ ** P.O. Box 1641       HP-Telnet:         706-1437
***   /   *** 61286 Bad Homburg       phone: +49 6172 16-1437
**** / ****** Germany                   fax: +49 6172 16-1419

       On your other machines, just do :

       cat package.install.log |dpkg -i package.deb

       Here, i have a central machine where root can access all other
machines using rsh :

	 for i in 'list-of-machines'
	 do
		echo -n $i ...
		rcp package.deb $i:/tmp/package.deb
		cat package.install.log | rsh $i "PATH=/usr/sbin:$PATH \
		    dpkg -i /tmp/package.deb"
		echo done.
	 done

		Pierre Blanchet.