Backups on Iomega-ditto 2Gb tape drive

Hallo,

I would like to hear whether there is somebody using the Iomega-ditto 2Gb
tape drive for reliable backups.

I have tried out tbackup, but the documentation says it is not supposed to
handle a lot of files - 30 000 if I remember correctly and it became very
slow.  Also, I could not restore some files using it.

I could not get tob to use the tape correctly and I could never restore
files backed up with tob.

At the moment I am using dump and restore.  It is working but not very
well.  The restore process can go on for a very long time even if you want
to restore only one file or one directory and it has happened that I could
not restore a file seemingly because of errors on the tape.

Are reliable backups possible?

Johann

| Johann Spies                                    Windsorlaan 19           |
| jhspies@alpha.futurenet.co.za                   3201 Pietermaritzburg    |
| Tel/Faks Nr. +27 331-46-1310			Suid Afrika (South Africa) |

     "But as it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear
      heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the
      things which God hath prepared for them that love
      him."      I Corinthians 2:9