Re: Backups on Iomega-ditto 2Gb tape drive

On Wed, 20 May 1998, Johann Spies wrote:

> Hallo,
>
> I would like to hear whether there is somebody using the Iomega-ditto 2Gb
> tape drive for reliable backups.
>
> I have tried out tbackup, but the documentation says it is not supposed to
> handle a lot of files - 30 000 if I remember correctly and it became very
> slow.  Also, I could not restore some files using it.
>
> I could not get tob to use the tape correctly and I could never restore
> files backed up with tob.
>
> At the moment I am using dump and restore.  It is working but not very
> well.  The restore process can go on for a very long time even if you want
> to restore only one file or one directory and it has happened that I could
> not restore a file seemingly because of errors on the tape.
>
> Are reliable backups possible?
>
> Johann

How did you get this to work at all? Last time I looked around on the web
(1.5 weeks ago) all I could find was a page that said that Ditto units
were not supported and that driver development was in foetal stage.

I'm really curious, because if it works, I'll bring back my just-aquired
iomega zip drive and buy the ditto that I can get even cheaper than the
zip drive.

Cheers,

Joost