Re: Can't start X ! root

Kevin, this is probably a feature (only the maintainer and his/her hairdresser
know for sure). The X server, because it gets into your hardware, needs root
permission. Historically this meant the server executable was setuid root.
Naturally this is a security hole so they've probably left setuid off by default
now. This works fine generally because the easiest way to run X is through xdm.
Since you're new to X I'll explain that xdm (the X Display Manager) basically
replaces the text login screen with a nice X login screen. xdm is generally
started at boot time also. This way X can be run as root conveniently, you get a
nice, pretty login screen, and to top it off xdm will run the server with
authentication turned on. All in all it's the way to go. I'd be happy to help you
get it configured.

Kevin Traas wrote:

> I'm fairly new to X, so this might be an RTFM question.   If so, please
> point me to where I can find an answer.
>
> I've just installed Hamm and X on my notebook here and all's working
> okay; however, I can't `startx' as a regular user.  I get a "no
> permission" or some such.  Everything works perfectly when running as
> root - however, I'd rather not....
>
> If you have any ideas, please let me know.
>
> Thanks,
> Kevin Traas
>
> --

Jens B. Jorgensen