FIXED - Can't start X ! root

Thanks for the quick reply, Jens!

Good news, though!  I've just figured out the problem on my own....  Turns
out that when I'd configured things, I'd screwed things up in the
/etc/X11/Xservers file.

I'd made a duplicate of the original, X server line (line 1), changed the
first line and put a hash in front of the second, "backup" line.  The old
second line ( = Console ) had now been moved down to line 3.

After reading the comments in that file (line 5 & 6), it turns out that my
solution was to delete the "backup" line, thus moving line 3 back to line
2.  As soon as I'd done this, everything was fixed!!!!

I guess if line 2 doesn't equal Console or Anybody, then it defaults to
RootOnly.... Which I guess is the safe way to do it....

Anyway, thanks for the quick response.

Later,
Kevin