Re: Printing

Have you considered installing magicfilter ?
My HP LJ 6L works fine with the lj4l filter from mgicfilter and the
following entry i /etc/printcap

lp|Generic dot-matrix printer entry
        :lp=/dev/lp1
        :sd=/var/spool/lpd/lp
        :af=/var/log/lp-acct
        :lf=/var/log/lp-errs
        :if=/var/spool/lpd/filters/ljet4l-filter
        :pl#66
        :pw#80
        :pc#150
        :mx#0
        :sh

Hope this helps
George

On Mon, 18 May 1998, John C. Ellingboe wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am using Debian Linux 1.3.1 on a 486-DX40 (Cyrix).  The FTP Linux
> installation is about two weeks old.
>
> Originally I could print to lp using the generic printer in printcap,
> but got the classic stair step effect on my HP LaserJet 5L.  After
> editing my printcap file and adding the filter script per the
> printing-howto I no longer get any printed output.
>
> I added the following line to printcap.
>
> :if=/var/spool/lpd/lp/filter:\
>
> and in /var/spool/lpd/lp I created the following perl script.
>
> #!/bin/perl
> while (<STDIN>){chop $_; print "$_\r\n";};
>
> The printer came alive, ejected a page without any printed text and the
> filter script indicated a problem in line 2 near "; print".  Execution
> of /var/spool/lpd/lp/filter aborted due to compilation errors.  I even
> removed the added line in printcap and still get a clean sheet of paper
> with no print.  What would have happened to printcap by adding a line
> and then deleting it?
>
> Suggestions please.
>
> Also does any have a good printcap entry for the HP Laserjet 5L.
>
> TIA
>
> John
>

> --

George Kapetanios