Re: dselect oddities

On Mon, 18 May 1998 18:46:06 +1000, Hamish Moffatt wrote:

>Steve, we read and we understand what you want. We have suggested ways
>in which you can both (a) work around the lack of this feature now,
>and (b) request that it be added in the future. But you don't listen
>to our replies.

    Incorrect.  This last time out I did as Manoj suggested.  I have found
out that by taking the packages off hold they do not return to that state so
one has to place the packages on hold each time they do an update to maintain
the desired behavior.  What you have suggested to know, what I have done in
the mean time you do not.  Please, do not presume to know what I have done.

>>     I posted a challenge to you.  Go back to my original 1 sentence message
>> and describe how I was rude.  I wasn't.  Until then I have been reactionary
       ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>> in my tone.  Think about it.

>I have -- I think you were rude. As I replied then, constructive criticism
>is welcome, unconstructive criticism is not.

    Let's go through this one more time.

"    Am I the only one who feels that dselect should not update packages
unless explicitly told to?"

    What about that is rude?  What about it is "unconstrictive criticism?"

"Am I the only one" - Question, asking people if they are of a similar...
"who feels"         - ...opinion about the...
"that deselect"     - ...program in question and its...
"should not update
 packages unless
 explicitly told
 to?"               - ...default behavor.

    Let's review, class.  There is nothing rude about that sentence.  It is
not "unconstrictive" criticism.  In fact, it is quite clear, concise, is not
in a condicending tone, and is, above all, a question.  Not a demand like
some people have claimed.

    Now, if you want rude, Hamish, take a look at the replies I've gotten and
the messages I've send out just recently.  That is beginning to be rude.  But
if you think the above is rude, you had better get a thicker skin because
that 1 atom thick stuff you're wearing now just isn't cutting it.

    And I issue the challenge again, describe how "Am I the only one who
feels that dselect should not update packages unless explicitly told to?" is
rude.  I am getting tired of asking it.

>The bug system is the proper recording mechanism for this. For the bug
>system to forget something, somebody has to tell it to. On the other hand,
>people can forget things far more easily.

    Valid point.

--
             Steve C. Lamb             | Opinions expressed by me are not my
    http://www.calweb.com/~morpheus    | employer's.  They hired me for my