Re: dselect oddities

On Mon, 18 May 1998, Steve Lamb wrote:

> "    Am I the only one who feels that dselect should not update packages
> unless explicitly told to?"

There is one case where dselect MUST "remember" its selection status ...
that is the initial install. It must come up with certain packages
pre-selected if the newbie is not to spend the rest of his life in the
conflict resolution area.

Having said that, there appears on the surface to be two ways around this.
Either a dkpg-install module OR a keystroke that means "hold all".
Probably ^= would be a good candidate. If the first method is used, then
yes, dselect could default to "forgetting" the selection status when you
quit and then reverts to a hold-by-default when invoked again except when
dpkg-install is selected which would set things to the default install
configuration.

In the second case, it operates as it does now and the operator must
remember to do a "hold-all" before exiting.  I prefer the second solution
and suggest you submit a request for that feature.

George Bonser

Microsoft! Which end of the stick do you want today?