Re: dselect oddities

Hi,
>>"Steve" == Steve Lamb <morpheus@calweb.com> writes:

Steve> On Sun, May 17, 1998 at 05:07:12PM +1000, Hamish Moffatt wrote:
>> Steve, I think you misunderstand what "stable", "unstable" etc are.
Steve> No, I am not.  I am well aware of it means.

	I think not. Unstable means "expect glitches".

Steve> Exactly.  But in doing so, with the current defaults in
Steve> dselect, when I move to the "unstable" directory it is an all
Steve> or nothing proposition, I don't get to pick and choose.

	Well, yes and no. You could move to slink, and hold every
 package there is. Then you get to choose what to upgrade. I do ot
 understand why this is so hard.

Steve> According to whose standards?  To me dselect is far easier
Steve> because I don't have to wade through ~50 command line switches.

	Well. Either you look at the help (and it is way less than 50
 options), or you hire people to help. I'll offer you a 50%
 discount since you use Debian, and I like Debian. That comes to umm,
 around $125/hour.

	You either learn to use your tools, or you pay people to let
 you use 'em. The free lunch with Linux ends at the learning curve.

Steve> Also, I really dislike it when people say, "you can always do
Steve> it yourself."  This, to me, is the pinnicle of arrogance.  It
Steve> makes the assumption that the person on the other end can
Steve> program.

	People only say that when you have raised their hackles. I
 confess you have raised mine. See, either you do it yourself. Or you
 pay to have it done. Or you have to be polite.

	I mean, what's in it for me, anyway? Why do developers have to
 deal with people when the interaction is less than pleasant?

Steve> As I mentioned, sc is now broken because of the libraries in
Steve> slink.  That would not have happened if it weren't for the
Steve> mindless autoupdate.

	Slink is unstable. Deal with it. It shall be fixed eventually.

Steve> I understand that.  I have never contested that.  But tell me
Steve> how the autoupdating mindset fits into where people want to
Steve> keep up with the latest? Would *YOU* autoupdate on the unstable
Steve> tree for every update out there or would you pick and choose
Steve> depending on what your needs are and let the rest of the
Steve> packages sit at what you *KNOW* are stable levels?

	I learn to use my tools. When I have to use a chain saw, I
 learn how first. I would learn dpkg. And update as I wish. Actually,
 I shall probably autoupdate to slink soon, as soon as we are frozen
 hard.

Steve> Except that it automatically installs unless I tell it
Steve> otherwise.  DIY on Slackware is the reverse, only what I want
Steve> installed is installed.  It is the subtle difference in the
Steve> default that makes a huge difference in the end.  My Slackware
Steve> was based on 3.2.  I had updated most of the programs on it by
Steve> hand at one time or another.  My /usr/local/ directory was
Steve> slowly overtaing my /usr tree in size.  It was rock solid for
Steve> two years.

	Seems to me that Slackware fits your needs way better than
 Debian.

Steve> Tell me, what is so hard to understand with this simple
Steve> concept: No autoupdating.

	Oh, not hard to understand at all. But we ain't convinced
 enough to do anything about it ourselves. Have you filed a wishlist
 bug yet?

	manoj
--
 Yippies, hippies, yahoos, Black Panthers, lions and tigers alike--I
 would swap the whole damn zoo for the kind of young Americans I saw