Re: 2.0.33 is no good for lic6-dev

Hi,
>>"Alan" == Alan Eugene Davis <adavis@netpci.com> writes:

Alan> No thank you.

	Well, there are other distributions -- red hat makes a fine
 OS, you know. I just sent you Debian policy.

>>  Most programs, even if they include <linux/something.h>, do
Alan> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>> not really depend on the version of the kernel, as long as the
>> kernel versions are not too far off, they will work. And the
>> headers provided in libc5-dev (and libc6-dev) are just that.

	How many programs you know depend on intimate knowledge of
 kernel headers? pcmcia, and oss are the only ones I know about.

>> The solution is to separate out the two sets of header files:
Alan> ^^^^^^^^^^^^ ????????????

	You really seem to have little knowledge of this subject, and
 do not seem to be able to follow the technica discussion
 (which, BTW, was endorsed by Linus, had you cared to read to
 the end)

Alan> I, for one, applaud Bruce Perens's efforts to standardize
Alan> various issues.

	libc6-dev is not part of the base system, and is not likely to
 be. So, Debian is going to be following a variation of the policy I
 mailed here. (The real policy for slink is slightly different, but
 only in implementation details).

Alan> This is one that has continually been a sore point for me,
Alan> standing in the way, between me and peaceful computing.

	Sorry.

Alan> You are making some assumptions here.  You are
Alan> telling me that this is, after all, not really a standardizable
Alan> solution, but that Debian will work most of the time, but not
Alan> all the time, except for hackers who are alert enough to catch
Alan> this and remember the required kludges.

	You evidently fail to grasp the subject at hand. I said no
 such thing.

Alan> Congratulations on an ingeniously intricate, illusory and
Alan> superfluous solution to what appears (at least to others who
Alan> must compile the kernels)to be a trivial problem, or not a
Alan> problem.

	What the hell does that have to do with compiling kernels
 (apart from pieces of crap like OSS)? The kernel is independent of
 the headers installed on the machine, and delibrately so. Since you
 do not understand what you are talking about, I think I have nothing
 further to say on this matter.

	Technical objects to Debian policy are always welcome,
 unreasoning rants shall be ignored.

	Good day.

	manoj

--
 ...Another writer again agreed with all my generalities, but said
 that as an inveterate skeptic I have closed my mind to the truth.