Re: 2.0.33 is no good for lic6-dev

On statistical anomalies.

>         Add to that the fact that few programs really need the more
                                    ^^^^^^^^^^^^
>  volatile elements of the header files (that is, things that really
>  change from kernel version to kernel version), [before you reject
>  this, consider: programs compiled on one kernel version usually work
>  on other kernels]. For the few that do need specific kernel headers,
		              !!!
>  use -I/usr/src/kernel-headers-<version> or some thing for a specific
   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>  kernel version, or -I/usr/src/linux/include for the latest set of
   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>  headers installed..
   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

No thank you.

>         Most programs, even if they include <linux/something.h>, do
          ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>  not really depend on the version of the kernel, as long as the kernel
>  versions are not too far off, they will work. And the headers
>  provided in libc5-dev (and libc6-dev) are just that.

> 	 The solution is to separate out the two sets of header files:
         ^^^^^^^^^^^^
	 ????????????

   I, for one, applaud Bruce Perens's efforts to standardize various issues.
   This is one that has continually been a sore point for me, standing in
   the way, between me and peaceful computing.  You are making some
   assumptions here.  You are telling me that this is, after all, not really
   a standardizable solution, but that Debian will work most of the time,
   but not all the time, except for hackers who are alert enough to catch
   this and remember the required kludges.  Congratulations on an
   ingeniously intricate, illusory and superfluous solution to what appears
   (at least to others who must compile the kernels)to be a trivial problem,
   or not a problem.

   In held and in trepidation, for over a year.  Save this
   kludge,  the nightmarish dselect,  now the fact that apt WON'T EVEN
   RUN if any of the required packages are self-installed (except for a
   proxy package setup that won't work), Debian GNU/Linux has been a most
   pleasing system to use for the past 2-3 years.  Say what you will.

   GNU packages, even emacs20, compile out of the box, and self install.  If
   there were a way (without debianizing or other patch-ification) to have
   these packages, installed by make, register themselves and
   completely uninstall themselves, a significant part of the need
   for self-logging installations (and note the extensive checking done in
   the ./configure step!) would be met.  Imagine a dpkg that would check if
   a compatible library actually existed on the system!

   That having been said, it sure is nice to install smail, and have a
   working mail system.  And many programs I couldn't compile myself have
   been compiled by others and made available.  I thank the developers.

   Alan

--
Alan E. Davis                       Marianas High School (Science Department)
AAA196, Box 10001    adavis@netpci.com   http://www.saipan.netpci.com/~adavis