Re: PPP, diald,

Bob Nielsen writes:
> Connect your modem to ttyS0 and make a symbolic link to /dev/modem ('ln
> -s /dev/ttyS0 /dev/modem' as root).

Please don't.  This link is unnecessary and confusing.  Use /dev/ttyS0
directly.

> Install ppp (and optionally diald) and read the man pages and other
> documentation, including the PPP-HOWTO...

Thr PPP-HOWTO can be very confusing.  It gives far more detail than most
people need, but does not cover the Debian way of setting up ppp.  Read the
man pages for 'pppd', 'chat', 'pon', 'poff', and 'plog'.  Assuming that you
are using Debian 1.3, edit /etc/ppp.chatscripts and /etc/ppp.options_out
for your configuration.  Email me if you need help.

> You may also want to get pppconfig.

Pppconfig cannot be used with Debian 1.3.

--
John Hasler
john@dhh.gt.org (John Hasler)