Re: DOSEmu 97.7

On Thu, May 14, 1998 at 09:34:45PM +0000, Rev. Joseph Carter wrote:
> On Thu, May 14, 1998 at 04:49:07PM -0400, timothy@smasher.rs.itd.umich.edu wrote:
> > I would like to try a 2.1 kernel. Which do you recommend/Which one is the most
> > stable?
>
> At this point, the latest is probably stable.  I use 2.1.101 and it's more
> stable than 2.0.33---which on some systems isn't saying much.

I've just upgraded at work to 2.1.101 and it seems fine there. The "rusting"
seems much better (the machine used to become slower over time -
particularly my machine at home which only has 32MB).

SMP still needs ironing out and you will need to upgrade several programs
(pppd being one).

If you don't want to read the kernel mailing list, then it's sensible to
wait a little while after a release and check slashdot.org and freshmeat for
any problems.

PS: Kernel development being what it is, has released 2.1.102, there are
some problems with it (menuconfig is broken somewhere).

Adrian

email: adrian.bridgett@poboxes.com,  http://www.poboxes.com/adrian.bridgett
Windows NT - Unix in beta-testing.   PGP key available on public key servers
Debian Linux  http://www.debian.org  The superior Linux distribution