Re: dselect oddities

On Fri, 15 May 1998 11:04:55 -0500 (CDT), Nathan E Norman wrote:

>But isn't that the point of a packaging system?  This way, bug-fixes,
>security fixes, etc. are integrated into the system simply by running
>dselect every now and then.  deselect *does* present you with a list of
>what it's going to update (or more correctly, updated packages).

    Right, and the person should *CHOOSE* which packages are to be updated.
This automatatic unless otherwise specified path reaks of Microsoft.

>If you want everything on hold, then place everything on hold :)

   That is not feesable for 2-300 packages.

>I'm not trying to be flippant, but you still haven't listed a specific
>example of where the default behavior is wrong, so I'm not sure where
>you're coming from.

    Yes, I have.  Placing unstable directories into the path to keep up with
current versions of applications while not having to worry about other things
being updated.  IE, having the *OPTION* to choose to upgrade, not to upgrade
outright.

--
             Steve C. Lamb             | Opinions expressed by me are not my
    http://www.calweb.com/~morpheus    | employer's.  They hired me for my