Re: dselect oddities

On Fri, 15 May 1998, Steve Lamb wrote:

: On Fri, 15 May 1998 11:04:55 -0500 (CDT), Nathan E Norman wrote:
:
: >But isn't that the point of a packaging system?  This way, bug-fixes,
: >security fixes, etc. are integrated into the system simply by running
: >dselect every now and then.  deselect *does* present you with a list of
: >what it's going to update (or more correctly, updated packages).
:
:     Right, and the person should *CHOOSE* which packages are to be updated.
: This automatatic unless otherwise specified path reaks of Microsoft.

<sigh>.  When you go to the select screen, it tells you which packages
are updated.  As Scott says, use the `=' key to mark the entire section
as `hold' if you desire.

: >If you want everything on hold, then place everything on hold :)
:
:    That is not feesable for 2-300 packages.

I thought it was possible to choose `All Packages', and then hold, but I
see this isn't the case - you've got to do it a section at a time.
Sorry.

: >I'm not trying to be flippant, but you still haven't listed a specific
: >example of where the default behavior is wrong, so I'm not sure where
: >you're coming from.
:
:     Yes, I have.  Placing unstable directories into the path to keep up with
: current versions of applications while not having to worry about other things
: being updated.  IE, having the *OPTION* to choose to upgrade, not to upgrade
: outright.

Hmm.  In the first mail I saw from you, you said:

:     Am I the only one who feels that dselect should not update
: packages unless explicitly told to?

I didn't see any explanation there.  Sorry about that.

--
Nathan Norman
MidcoNet - 410 South Phillips Avenue - Sioux Falls, SD  57104