Re: Installing Debian from WindowsNT Pt. 2

On Fri, 15 May 1998 John_Gay@3com.com wrote:

> Simple :)
> >second hard drive..is it a slave on the first IDE controller or
> >a master on the second?
>
> The IDE controller is built-into the riser card from the motherboard with
> two sockets for separate IDE cables for the hard drive, I assume this is
> then considered to be hdb?

No, hdb is a slave on the first cable (using the other connector on the
ribbon (though there exist ribbons with only two connectors which you can't
use a slave on).

hdc is the master on the second interface/connector/cable.

Note that changing a disk from a master to a slave or back can involve
moving a jumper (on the bottom of the diskdrive).

> besides, the second hard drive is already formatted and installed with DOS
> and Windows3.51 for workgroups. I don't necessarily need to keep windows,
> but would like to keep DOS for use with DJGPP, a 32 bit DOS port of GCC
> from UNIX, also part of the GNU software field.

You can use this to your advantage if you can boot it in a machine on the
network, or connect it as a second disk in such a machine. Download the
debian files into the dos partition with their msdos filenames. Then move
the disk to the linux machine and mount it there.

You need to look carefully at the docs for how to use msdos filenames as
I've never done it and can't advise.

You say W3.51 - do you mean NT? I don't know whether installation kernels
can mount NT partitions so it might be safer to just use the DOS
partition unless you try it and it works, of course.

> I tried mounting anyway with;
> mount /dev/hdb1 /dos
> and I get;
> mount: /dev/hdb1 is not a valid block device

1) Try hdbN or hdcN as above.
2) You probably don't have a /dos mountpoint, but you should have /mnt
3) You need to tell mount the filesystem type:
   mount -r -t msdos /dev/hdX1 /mnt
4) I popped in -r which makes it readonly so you can't accidently write
   to it while you're gaining confidence.

> I think the basic problem is the when I installed Linux there was only 1
> hard drive and I formatted that in the installation. I think something in a
> config file somewhere is telling Linux there is only one hard drive.

Well, yes, during installation it's possible to build a system over
several disks and it will write the entries in /etc/fstab for you...

> If I
> have to, I could re-install Linux to recognise the second hard drive,

but that's totally unnecessary. You can mount disks by hand at any time,
make it more convenient (less typing) by adding noauto entries in
/etc/fstab, or have them mounted automatically by not specifying noauto.

It's windoze which needs constantly rebooting and even reinstalling.

Hope this helps,