Re: Installing Debian from WindowsNT Pt. 2

Simple :)
>second hard drive..is it a slave on the first IDE controller or
>a master on the second?

The IDE controller is built-into the riser card from the motherboard with
two sockets for separate IDE cables for the hard drive, I assume this is
then considered to be hdb?

>if it is the slave on the first then it is known as "/dev/hdb"
>if it is the rmaster on the second then it is "/dev/hdc"
>you may think those look like filenames...they are...should you
>decide to (as root) writer data to either of those files
>it will write  directly over the disk (and right over
>and formats, and data structures)...it would be a very bad thing
>anywya...you can use the command mke2fs (mk = make; e2 = second extended;
>fs = filesystem) to make a file which is a second extended filesystem
>what you want to do is...
>fdisk /dev/hdc (and use fdisk to make a partition /dev/hdc1)

using;
fdisk /dev/hdb
gives;
unable to open /dev/hdb

besides, the second hard drive is already formatted and installed with DOS
and Windows3.51 for workgroups. I don't necessarily need to keep windows,
but would like to keep DOS for use with DJGPP, a 32 bit DOS port of GCC
from UNIX, also part of the GNU software field.

>mke2fs /dev/hdc1 (or /dev/hdb you get the idea.../dev/fd0 for
>a floppy disk ;) )
>that is basically the equivalent of "format" under DOS
>then to use it...find a directory where you want it...and
>mount /dev/hdc1 /path/and/directory/to/mount/on
>ie. (as my system used to be)
>mount /dev/hdc1 /home

I tried mounting anyway with;
mount /dev/hdb1 /dos
and I get;
mount: /dev/hdb1 is not a valid block device

>once you are sure how that works and that it does...
>look at /etc/fstab (then it will be mounted and umounted automatically
>on reboot)
>(hint man fstab)

I think the basic problem is the when I installed Linux there was only 1
hard drive and I formatted that in the installation. I think something in a
config file somewhere is telling Linux there is only one hard drive. If I
have to, I could re-install Linux to recognise the second hard drive, I was
just hoping to avoid that if I could Thanks again for your help and I am
finally making progress with my installation. I hope to have it done in a
week or two.

Cheers,

     John Gay