Re: Debian 2 frozen problems

On Wed, 13 May 1998, Eddie Seymour wrote:

I do not use *frozen*, but perhaps I can help with parts of this.

> Being a raw debian novice the following have tripped me:
> When booting I get "Unable to load charset 437". Where do I find it
> and put it to quiet this error.
>
> I tried to mount a partition as "vfat" in fstab and get an error
> message. After login, I can "mount" the vfat without problems. fstab
> requires the msdos param to mount this dos partition.

You are trying to load vfat/msdos without the necessary kernel modules
loaded. Add msdos and vfat to /etc/modules.

> Have a 5.1gb hda with fat32. Can I mount/read it? How?

I believe this requires a 2.1.xx kernel OR a patched 2.0.xx kernel.

> My /usr/lost+found directory has numerous "#12345" type files. Can't
> seem to find way to remove them. Permissions start with c,s, or b.
> Chmod doesn't reference this.

debugfs should let you take care of these. But be careful, it will let
you do a lot of damage also. Be sure to read the man page first.

Sounds like your some files from /dev may have been damaged. This may
cause some problems later, but they can be fixed with MAKEDEV.

*   For God so loved the world that He gave his only begotten Son,  *
*   that whoever believes in Him should not perish...    John 3:16  *
* W. Paul Mills            *  Topeka, Kansas, U.S.A.                *
* wpmills@midusa.net       *  http://homepage.midusa.net/~wpmills/  *
* wpmills@networksplus.net *  http://www.networksplus.net/wpmills/  *
* Bill, I was there several years ago, why would I want to go back? *