Re: Installing Debian from WindowsNT Pt. 2

On Thu, May 14, 1998 at 08:39:59PM +0100, John_Gay@3com.com wrote:
> After searching and searching the FAQ's and HOW-TO's I found that I could
> enable the COM port on the Linux box in the /etc/inittab file. I can now
> log onto my Linux box from hyper terminal on the Windows machine but I
> still can't access or send files from the Windows machine to the Linux box.

Ahhh....yes...
you need to send files the "old fashioned way" :)
to send a file from Windows to the linux box log in and type
"rz" (recive zmodem) and it will stop and wait...then tell
your terminal program to send a file via zmodem to the linux machine
(you can batch send too)
> a second drive AFTER Linux was installed. I've never used Linux or UNIX
> before so I need step by step assistance. I realise this is going the hard
> way but my System Administrator won't allow a Linux box to be connect to
> the network. He is afraid that Linux will bring down his precious WindowsNT
> network?!?!?!?

thats too bad...it is good to see your enthusiasm and willingness to try :)
Although actually...having linux you can quite easily bring down
an NT network if you really wanted to :)
if anything he is probably just doesn't want anyone to have a system on the
network which he doesn't have some sort of control over

> Is it possible to mount the second hard drive I added after installing
> Linux or will I need to re-install Linux. ( It's no big deal at this point,
> I have nothing but the Base Floppies installed right now) I've already got
> several people bugging me for access to a 'true Operating System' but I

Simple :)
second hard drive..is it a slave on the first IDE controller or
a master on the second?
if it is the slave on the first then it is known as "/dev/hdb"
if it is the rmaster on the second then it is "/dev/hdc"
you may think those look like filenames...they are...should you
decide to (as root) writer data to either of those files
it will write  directly over the disk (and right over
and formats, and data structures)...it would be a very bad thing
anywya...you can use the command mke2fs (mk = make; e2 = second extended;
fs = filesystem) to make a file which is a second extended filesystem
what you want to do is...
fdisk /dev/hdc (and use fdisk to make a partition /dev/hdc1)
mke2fs /dev/hdc1 (or /dev/hdb you get the idea.../dev/fd0 for
a floppy disk ;) )
that is basically the equivalent of "format" under DOS
then to use it...find a directory where you want it...and
mount /dev/hdc1 /path/and/directory/to/mount/on
ie. (as my system used to be)
mount /dev/hdc1 /home
once you are sure how that works and that it does...
look at /etc/fstab (then it will be mounted and umounted automatically
on reboot)
(hint man fstab)

> keep telling them I have to get the system installed first.
> Thanks again for any assistance you can give.

Hope this helps then ;)

-Steve

--
** Stephen Carpenter ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** ** sjc@delphi.com **
"We must respect the other fellow's religion, but only in the sense and