RE: Linux the hard way

On Thu, 14 May 1998, Bob McGowan wrote:

> Just remember what it would have been like in the days of 300 and 1200
> bps modems, and be thankful you can do 19.2K bps.

Hehe, I remember well. My first Linux was Slackware downloaded at 2400 on
a long distance call.  Start the FTP transfer, set Winsock for a 15minute
inactivity timeout and go to bed. Wake up the next morning and see how
much I got before the line dropped and try again the next night to grab
some more. I seem to remember that it took three nights to get enough to
install a running system.  Hehe, I was right on the Maryland/Delaware
state line at the time, if I could have run a wire to the other side of
the property and gotten the resident there to cooperate, it would have
been a local call for the stuff...but, alas, they were Amish ... no
phones.

George Bonser

Microsoft! Which end of the stick do you want today?