RE: Linux the hard way

Congratulations...

> highest baud rate my terminal will allow is 19200. As you cam
> imagine, this
> will be rather slow :-< I think the next step is to download

Just remember what it would have been like in the days of 300 and 1200
bps modems, and be thankful you can do 19.2K bps.

> the packages
> from the debial site to my windows machine. Is there a free
> utility I could
> use to copy the entire directory/ies rather than
> right-clicking the files
> one by one? I want to re-create the directory structure on my windows
> machine so I can then transfer this structure to my Linux box so I can
> hopefully use dselect to install the rest of my Debian Linux system
> semi-automaticly. Does this sound like the right steps, or am
> I missing
> something here? If you have a better suggestion, please let me know.
>      Thanks again for your help, I feel like I'm on the way to finally
> learning to use a Real operating system.
>
> Cheers,
>
>      John Gay

My only other thought would be to get a dos/Win version of tar, download
the Debian files to your NT machine in the desired locations and tar the
whole thing up into one file based on the parent directory location.
Then
transfer this single (very large) file and hope there are no power
failures
(though zmodem will check for partial transfers on a restart and seek to
the
position of the last correctly transferred data - thank goodness ;-).
On
your Linux system, use tar to extract the files.

There may be other utilities that would do recursive transfers, but I do
not
of them.

---
Bob McGowan
i'm:  bob dot mcgowan at artecon dot com