Linux the hard way

Bob,
     I downloaded minicom and lrzrz via floppy and used dselect to install
them. I then logged in from hyperterminal and sent a file using zmodem
protocol after issuing the rz command from the Linux box. SUCCESS!!! The
highest baud rate my terminal will allow is 19200. As you cam imagine, this
will be rather slow :-< I think the next step is to download the packages
from the debial site to my windows machine. Is there a free utility I could
use to copy the entire directory/ies rather than right-clicking the files
one by one? I want to re-create the directory structure on my windows
machine so I can then transfer this structure to my Linux box so I can
hopefully use dselect to install the rest of my Debian Linux system
semi-automaticly. Does this sound like the right steps, or am I missing
something here? If you have a better suggestion, please let me know.
     Thanks again for your help, I feel like I'm on the way to finally
learning to use a Real operating system.

Cheers,

     John Gay