RE: faking the hardware address?

If I understand the situation, IP masquerading
is what you want.  The addresses assigned to
the machine connected to the modem should be
from the block of addresses reserved for "private"
networks (networks that will not connect to the
internet).

The IP Masq process will forward the traffic from
the remote machine to the internet (thru the PPP
box) and back.  It basically replaces the address
of the remote machine with its address so the
internet only sees traffic from the PPP box.

You will want to enable ip always defragment in the
kernel network setup to make sure any fragmented
packets get forwarded correctly (only the first
fragment contains all the information on the
source and destination machines).

Hope this helps,

Pat