faking the hardware address?

My linux box is connected to a campus network, and i'd like to provide
access to that network to a machine connected over a serial/modem line
via PPP.  i *think* the normal way to do this would be:
 - get an IP assigned for the PPP box
 - compile the linux kernel with IP forwarding and have it route
   packets to and from the PPP box
 - make the gateway that my linux box uses accept packets from the new
   IP with my ethernet card's hardware address and through my ethernet
   port
the first two I can do, but the third one may be problematic, as I'm
not an administrator for the gateway or anything.  i have been told
that i can have multiple machines connect through my port (using a
hub), but it expects each IP to have a unique hardware address.

My question is: can I fake this?  all i think i need is to have the
linux box use a different hardware address for packets using the
second IP, right?

thanks in advance for any random thoughts or ideas...

-alan