Re: Static routing through dynamic interface

You probably want to use diald. diald sets up a "dummy" interface with the route.
When an interface dies any routes tied to it are perforce removed. diald gets
around this by using a loopback interface. You could code something up yourself
but it would end up being diald (minus a few features perhaps).

Pete Templin wrote:

> Good evening,
>
>         I'm having some stressful difficulties with some routing issues.
> I've got a modem server with 16 modems on a Cyclades serial port box.  I'm
> trying to statically route six Ip addresses
> (204.186.230.8/255.255.255.248) "down" one of those modems.  I can do so,
> but anytime the modem "hangs up", the associated ppp# interface goes down,
> and the static route goes away.
>
>         I need to "glue" this route in place, even if it ends up forcing
> me to discard packets in the modem server.  I've been unsuccessful running
> RIP between the client and the server, even with statically configured
> hosts in /etc/gateways.  I seem to be semi-successful using RIP on my
> Cisco to redistribute static routes, but that's definitely asking for
> trouble, and a pain to manage (in a way).
>
>         Any help or guidance will be greatly appreciated.  The gateway of
> choice is 204.186.230.177 for any who are curious.
>
> Pete
>
> --
> Peter J. Templin, Jr.
> Systems and Networks Administrator
>
> JD-WEB Computer Sales and Service
> 429 Market St.                          templin@jdweb.com
> Lewisburg, PA 17837                     (717)523-6800
>
> --

Jens B. Jorgensen
jjorgens@bdsinc.com