xwindows manager

I think I might need a windows manager. I have xwindows installed and
functioning, but when I go into it all I get is shell window. I installed
a couple of small programs but do not know how to start them. I am
assuming that I can start them by typing a command in the shell window,
but I don't know what that command is. Anyways that is neither here nor
there. Do I need a windows manager? If I do need a windows manager and
why and more importantly which one?

Keith
nfn1988@naples.net