Re: ssltelnet *very* slow on a 486...

--On Tue, May 12, 1998 9:26 am -0500 "Nathan E Norman" <finn@midco.net>
wrote:

> On Tue, 12 May 1998, Jules Bean wrote:
>
> : Hi there...
>
> [ snip ]
>
> : Now, on the Pentium, everything runs nicely.  On the 486, it can take
> : 10-15 *minutes* to complete an ssl-telnet connection.  It gets as far as

> :
> : njm25# telnet blueberry.jellybean.co.uk
> : Trying 194.88.75.31...
> : Connected to blueberry.jellybean.co.uk.
> : Escape character is '^]'.
> : Generating temp (512 bit) RSA key ...
> :
> : And hangs there for a good 10-15 minutes (I haven't timed it ;-)

OK.

I've straced it (strace is about the coolest bug finder ever;)  using strace
-f -p on inetd.

The problem is a blocking read on /dev/random.

So I read random(4).  Very interesting.  Very clever.  So there are two
conclusions:

1) There isn't enough entropy around, and therefor ssltelnetd should use
/dev/urandom.

2) My kernel has a rather limited /dev/random entropy pool, for some reason.

No, I'm only on 2.0.30, so I am now upgrading to 2.0.33, to see if that
helps.  I can't see why my entropy would be low - the machine's on a BNC
network, and if that doesn't provide entropy, nothing will...

Jules

|  Jelibean aka  | jules@jellybean.co.uk         |  6 Evelyn Rd        |