Problem with update-menus & RXVT-XPM

I'm trying to start an rxvt with an xpm background Everything's cool,
except that I have to run rxvt-xpm instead of rxvt (when did this
happen, BTW? It used to be different) However, I can't get a -scale
option to work. The best I can do is:

rxvt-xpm -pixmap /path/to/pixmap\;100x100

Which scales it fine. However, it's the damn semicolon that's doing me
in. You have to use a backslash in bash, obviously, for the stuff
after it to even get to rxvt-xpm. The problem I have is in the
/etc/menu files... I'm using Joost's update (update-menus) package,
for keeping track of stuff. I'm trying to have a few different rxvt's
started as different menu options (different as in, with different
backgrounds). However, setting the command to:

command="rxvt-xpm -pixmap /path/to/pixmap\;100x100"

doesn't work, nor does leaving out the backslash. In both cases the
geometry string isn't getting to rxvt-xpm, because it just loads the
pixmap without scaling (if the rxvt is resized, one can see that it is
being tiled, effectively)

Is there any way to get around this? Obviously, update-menus is
stripping out the backslash, or something along the way is.

--
  kiyan@iname.com   A scientific truth does not triumph by convincing
  A. Kiyan Azarbar  its opponents and making them see the light, but