Re: errors running startx

Keith wrote:

> I have been battling xwindows for a few days now. Everyone has been very
> helpful, but I am still not running.

Stick with it!  This is the hardest part of installation for everyone.

> I downloaded xlib6_3.3-4.deb and installed it using dpkg -i
> xlib6_3.3-4.deb. I got an error when I did this, it is as follows.
>
> ldconfig: warning can't open /usr/X11R6/lib/libICE.so.6 (no such file or
> directory)
> ldconfig: warning can't open /usr/X11R6/lib/libXext.so.6 (no such file
> or directory)

Ignore this.  You're just missing some X extensions.  Your system should
run fine without them.

> X: exec of /usr/X11R6/bin/XF86_NONE failed

You don't have an X server yet.  What video card do you have?  You need
to download xserver-vga16 and probably another xserver-* package,
depending on your video card.  Then run XF86Setup to configure the X
server.

Noel
--
Ever get the feeling that the world's on tape and one of the reels is
missing?