Re: HP III and Postscript

Nathan E Norman <finn@midco.net> wrote:

> [An acquired HP Laserjet III] came with a "PacificPage P.E" Postscript
> cartridge.  Anyone have experience with something like this?

Yes, I used it until a year ago. It worked neat, but very
slow. Ghostscript in your Linux box is much faster. On the other hand,
the Pacific board allows you to use the real Postscript fonts.

If I remember well (I am not quite sure), your printer is
going to need 4 Mb of memory

> I don't
> have any docs for any of these products, but I'm guessing I should be
> able to insert the cartridge and feed postscript direct to the printer.

Yes, that should work. You can switch from Postscript to PCL using the
keyboard on the printer, or via an escape sequence. Unfortunately I
don't have the details available for you. Moreover, it did not
allways work well for me. If I needed PCL then I removed the cartridge
(printer off, cartridge out, printer on)

Success,

Paul Huygen