Monitor problems

Dear all,

	I aquired a cheap and not very exciting computer 2nd hand, on the
understanding that the monitor was a 14inch VGA. I installed Debian 2,
which is the only OS on my hdd ;), including Xwindows. I can't get my
monitor to work properly.

I tried running XF86Setup, plugged in the info about my video card
(discontinued Realtek chip (SVGA) w 512K memory), and tried a few values
for a standard 640x480 monitor.

Every set up I tried produced the same result - a black screen with
vertical Green lines. I finally persuaded it work by making VGA_16 the
default server and telling XF86Setup that I have a VGA16 card, and a
480\640 monitor. I now have a display that only does 4bpp colour, and a
large black border all the way round which seems symptomatic of an SVGA
monitor only displaying in the middle 640x480 pixels. I've tried an array
of different monitor options with both SVGA and VGA options, but still get
either the black+green or the vast border. After reading the screen howto,
I reckon that my card should do 800x600 at 8bpp, but not 1400ish by
1000ish (don't have the numbers to hand). I'm considering a new video card
(2mb or 4), but I would like to sort out this problem first...

Is there a monitor autoprobe, for example.

Thanks,

Matthew

--
Elen sila lumenn' omentielvo

Steward-elect of the Cambridge Tolkien Society
Selwyn College Computer Support
http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Chamber/8841/
http://www.cam.ac.uk/CambUniv/Societies/tolkien/
http://pick.sel.cam.ac.uk/