XDM doesn't work

Hello all,

I have had the following problem no 2 different hamm systems:

They are configured to start xdm on booting.  One machine uses
the S3 xserver, one uses the SVGA xserver.  When starting the system,
the screen will flash (xdm keeps trying to start X) and the only way I
have been able to recover is to reset the machine (sometimes ctrl-alt-delete
works, sometimes I have to push the big button).

The S3 machine was reloaded from scratch, and the problem appears to have
gone away.  I removed all the X programs from the machine using the SVGA
server and reinstalled X but the problem is still there.  Startx and xinit
work fine.

I think this is related to bug 6468 - when switching to a text console
then back this behaviour happened (paraphrased to protect the guilty).

Any clues to a solution?  If not, this is a pretty nasty bug to release
on an unsuspecting user (read - I'll file a new bug report on xbase)

Thanks,

Pat