Re: loadlin problem

On Sun, 10 May 1998, Gregory Guthrie wrote:

> I have a partition on my W95 hard disk with Debian loaded; and I boot via a
> floppy. I want to switch to booting from W95/DOS; so I tried loadlin.
> Put it into a directory with Linux, root.bin), and tried it.
>   loadlin linux root=/dev/ram initrd=root.bin
>
> It won't work until one reboots into protected mode DOS first;
> unconvenient, but OK. (There are fast reboot tools for windows, seems like
> this would be a nicer way to go..)

Yes, it does take a while for Win95 to switch to DOS--I seem to recall
that the time is increased if one is using DRVSPACE.

> It boots, but then it wants to do setup, more like a rescue/setup disk that
> a boot disk. Is there a better way?
>
> Even then, When I ask it to mount an already initialized partition (option
> G), it lists partitions, but not the linux one. If I ask it to list all
> partitions, it shows the ext2 Linux partition, but the mount initialized
> partion doesn't list it. ??

Here's what I use:

d:\loadlin\loadlin  d:\loadlin\bzimage  root=/dev/hda6  ro

This works exactly the same as booting from a floppy or booting Linux
directly with LILO.

Bob

----
Tucson, AZ                  AMPRnet:  w6swe@01.w6swe.ampr.org